Consider, for a moment, these five reasons why posture is important:
1) Good posture helps you perform better, whether it be in sports, work or study
2) You look, feel and act more confident
3) Good posture keeps your body functioning at more optimal levels (whereas bad posture may reduce function e.g. reduction in lung capacity due to compression)
4) Good posture decreases abnormal wear and tear on joints
5) When your muscles, joints and ligaments are working as nature intended, your vital organs and the nervous system are better able to function
Given that these benefits are associated with good posture habits, who wouldn’t want to have good posture! Here at The Back Clinic, we meet patients who need help correcting postural problems, including sway back posture. As chiropractors, we are well versed in the management of postural issues. Let’s explore this further.
PROBLEMS CAN ARISE WHEN YOUR POSTURE IS CROOKED
The common posture problems we see include sway back posture, lumbar lordosis, thoracic kyphosis and forward head posture. Over time, poor posture may increase your chances of developing a wide array of health problems. Odd postures put extra pressure and stress on your spine, shoulders, hips, and knees.
Can you relate to any of the postures in the image below?