sciatica nerve pain
Can Chiropractors Help Sciatica (Nerve Pain)?
Find out if chiropractic care may help your nerve pain symptoms
If you suffer from sciatica, you're not alone. Many people experience the pain of sciatica, without ever seeking help. Often, the problem worsens if appropriate treatment is not received.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the body. It originates from the lumbar spinal cord and extends down the leg. This long nerve controls sensations you feel in your thighs and legs as well as muscle movement in the lower legs.
The team at The Back Clinic may be able to diagnose sciatica with a physical and neurological examination. Sometimes, diagnostic imaging or nerve tests can be used to help with diagnosis. We may also refer to other practitioners as required.
What Does Sciatica Feel Like?
Many people commonly experience pain in the lower back, hip and down the leg. The pain can range from slight discomfort to unbearable pain, in some cases immobilising sufferers. You may also experience tingling or numbness down the leg. Some patients comment that all they did was bend the wrong way or pick something up and they felt pain. What may have happened is that their condition developed over time and a simple movement is enough to set of a 'health crisis'. This is especially true of spinal misalignments that build up over time and of poor posture habits that progressively worsen.
Common Causes of Sciatica
Many factors can contribute to sciatic pain, including:
- lumbar (low back) disc herniation, pressing on the nerve
- abnormal hip/spine alignment
- ‘pinched’ nerve irritation or inflammation from disc pressure
- muscle tightening, pulling your structure out of alignment
- injury and trauma
- pregnancy and associated pressure on the sciatic nerve
Can chiropractic help with Sciatica/Radiating pain down the leg?
Can chiropractic adjustments help with sciatica? According to the UK Evidence Report 2010, there is inconclusive favourable evidence in support of chiropractic care for this condition. It is accepted that chiropractic may be able to help manage symptoms often associated with sciatica (e.g. muscular tension, posture) rather than treating the condition itself.
Your New Member Consultation
Assess Sciatica Today
Our team at The Back Clinic understand sciatica.
- A comprehensive chiropractic exam and consultation
- Diagnostic imaging (X-rays, if required)
- A complete Report of Findings and Diagnosis on your second visit.
You only pay for treatment (chiropractic adjustments) if you decide you want to follow through with the Doctor’s recommendations. We’re placing the decision to improve your health in your hands – we’re here to assist you and to provide treatment as you wish.
Talk to us today
Please call or email us now to book your new member consultation. We look forward to talking with you.
- Gert Bronfort, Mitch Haas, Roni Evans, Brent Leininger and Jay Triano. Effectiveness of manual therapies: the UK evidence report. Chiropractic & Osteopathy 2010 18:3. https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1746-1340-18-3